I walked into an Apple store to buy an iPod. And then I thought – wait… I could buy an entire phone and so save myself the trouble of carrying a phone and a music device, so maybe i should buy an iphone. But then… all those reasons why I didn’t grab one the first time around came to mind and I’m quite confused. Help me decide.
Glass Half Full:
1. It looks seriously cool – Frown all you want and roll your eyes and say “shallooow” but it does look seriously cool and if it weren’t for that important factor, there are a million other phones I could consider
2. It is loaded with apps, particularly Skype – Yes there are a million other phones I could use with Skype but the fact is, coupled with (1) it does make a good point. Though not as useful in India yet, it is a good idea.
3. It does have all those features like GPS etc etc which I would never use but would be good to have nevertheless.
4. There are a lot of high-tech phones for much cheaper but I somehow believe having the iPhone is like having a super cool laptop with you, from which you can even hack things (Yes I’ve been watching way too many bad spy movies. I did finish that Millennium series recently) I don’t care if I can actually do it but it is kind of cool to have that.
5. It has a decent camera.
Glass Half Empty
1. No Flash (I know that there are replacements to it but to me, that is like saying no Google. What on earth are you supposed to do but settle for the second-best. Which leads me to my next point…)
2. I don’t really like Apple’s “we restrict the world” policy. For all you know, tomorrow they might actually decide to do away with google on their phones. Or… something worse.
3. As a friend said, “it is way too expensive for what it really is – a piece of fashion technology.”
Now I know that my Half-Full 4 goes against this but it is really a piece of fashion technology. There are phones on the market that can do the same thing and they are much cheaper, and some of them not half as unattractive.
4. Touchscreen keyboards – yes I hate them. The same thing that makes it look supercool, I hate it.
5. Not sure how the camera really is.
6. No inbuilt radio – apparently I have to download an app for it which I think it a little stupid.
7. I can’t use GPRS. I have to pay for a special “net pack” to use every fricking feature on that phone, which means my phone bills soar anyway.
This is what it boils down to -There are equal or better phones on the market for cheaper and many of them are even touchscreen too. But I do like the iPhone and if not for half-empty 1 and 2, I’d have probably bought it. And then the price… I can get a really good touchscreen phone, which is also a little lighter for something a lot lesser, loaded with the same apps and all that.
So every time I convince myself, I look at the price and realise there are other options and I sit back down to think.
On the good side, one of my photos finally got published in something called Schmap, which is an iphone app for maps. (karma?) Check it out.
Song of the day: Hit Me Baby One More Time – Britney Spears (I loved her in this one. Cringe all you want)